July 13, 2012

You are my sunshine - Tutorial

TGIF!!!!  So excited the weekend is here.  I don't work today or Sunday and I only have to work a couple hours on Saturday in the morning.  Tony has off tomorrow so I think we are going to celebrate my daughters birthday.  I have the pleasure of celebrating two birthdays this month. My sweet daughter Isabel will turn 4 on the 17th and my handsome son Tony will turn 5 on the 27th.  I don't think a day goes by that I don't think to myself how much I LOVE my children.  They bring such joy to my life and I couldn't imagine my life without my kids. 

I am so excited to be able to share with you a tutorial today.  Our Delightful Designer, Karen, has a very inspiring tutorial to share with you. 

Here is Karen's tutorial:

Ever wonder what to do with those itty bitty stamps included in sets? Try reaching outside the box and use them by themselves to create cool and funky backgrounds through multiple stamping! Let me quickly show you two ways on how to do this, both creating a huge impact! My cards today feature the stamps from Lawn Fawn's Sunny Skies, the really fun and versatile set included in this month's card kit! 
The first way to use the small stamps to create a background is stamping them in some sort of pattern. Start by arranging the stamps in a pleasing arrangement onto your block, in this instance I placed the small kite bow tie just a smidge under and to the right of the large bow tie. Ink up your stamp and stamp onto the paper, in this case it is the fun coral solid cardstock from this month's kit. You'll want to re-ink your stamps for each impression, but be careful not to re-arrange your stamps until your card base has been completely stamped! 


Stamp again, either to the left or right, top or bottom of your first impression. You will see your pattern develop, and each impression thereafter, stamp to follow your general pattern. I wasn't very precise with the stamping on this card, but if you wanted to, you could create light guidelines with a pencil and then erase after stamping.
 




Once your stamping has been completed, you can end up with a completely different look then what your stamps were meant to be for! In this case, I created a modern and trendy pattern reminiscent of a textile pattern. I added a touch of color with marker and finished the card with a sentiment and the sun, all from this month's kit. 

The second way to use small stamps to create a new background is to stamp one image in a random fashion, alternating the position of the stamp as  you go, onto your card stock (the lovely yellow paper is from this month's kit too!). I find that keeping to one ink color on most of your outlined images help create solidified background pattern better than using multiple colors. To finish this card, I added a touch of monochromatic shading with a marker, and added a banner and sentiment from two other Lawn Fawn sets. 

I hope that you are inspired to take a closer look at the small stamps included in your sets and create a cool, new, and totally unique background!


Thanks Karen for that awesome tutorial.  I can't wait to get to craft  again because I will certainly be trying that technique!!

 

8 comments:

Erin (Homemade Cards by Erin) said...

Great tutorial Karen, love the idea of making a tiny bit stamp turn into something bigger.

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

WOW!!! Karen's background technique is awesome!!!!! I loveeeeee her cards!!! Enjoy your time off!!!

Kim said...

GREAT IDEA!! Cute cards!
~Kim

April said...

Very cool Karen!!

Happy Birthday to your sweet babies this month Leeanne. :)

donna mikasa said...

Great tutorial! Love the idea of making your own backgrounds.

Marcia Dehn-Nix said...

Awesome tutorial Karen! Your cards are fabulous. I am definitely going to try this.

Alice said...

such fun and clever way to use those smaller stamps! thanks so much for the tips, Karen!

jen said...

Such a great tutorial!!!